Monday, February 1, 2010

Things My Kitchen Is Never Without

Ok, maybe not never. But some basic things I attempt to always have on hand:

  • olive oil
  • butter
  • salt/pepper/some kind of spice
  • hot sauce
  • wine (even, or especially, cheap-o cooking wine) 
  • canned tomatoes
  • rice, lentils, pasta, etc-- whatever your favorite starches happen to be
  • onion
  • green pepper (my favorite veggie. I put it in almost everything. Substitute other stuff at will) 
  • milk
  • chicken broth, or boullion 
With just this stuff, or not even all of it, I can feed myself (not that well, but still) for almost a week. See, for example, finals week. 

I also love to keep these "luxuries" on hand:
  • frozen dumplings
  • jars of pasta sauce
  • frozen stir-fry veggies
  • jiffy mix-- both cornbread and blueberry. great for impressing someone with 'homemade' muffins or cornbread in under 30 minutes. 
  • cheese, tortillas and salsa-- the perfect microwave quesadilla lunch in 30 seconds
  • frozen meat, meatballs, etc
  • different kinds of hot sauce (at last count, i had 4 or 5 kinds of bottled hot sauce...)

No comments:

Post a Comment