Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Spice Rack (part 1)

I love spices. Mm.
Here's some stuff in my spice rack, and what I use it for.
  • Cumin-- I put it in everything western, southwestern, Mexican, etc. It also makes a great corn topping-- cut a fresh lime into wedges, brush the limes over an ear of hot corn, then sprinkle with cumin. Unbelievably delicious. 
  • Chile powder. Hot. Delicious. 
  • Red pepper flakes-- for an Italian kick. Great to throw into hot olive oil for a quick sizzle with onions and garlic.
  • Curry powder-- adds a nice warmth to any savory dish. I love it in lentils, and it's the secret ingredient in my lentil soup.
  • Cinnamon-- good for sweet things, but also adds a nice brightness to any savory dish. Often adds a great sweetness to anything you put curry powder into. 
  • White pepper-- a nice contrast to normal black pepper. Can be expensive, but I found it really cheap at my local Asian supermarket.
  • Ginger-- for my favorite cookies, and Asian dishes of many varieties.
  • basic Italian mix-- everything from pizza to homemade tomato sauce needs its basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, etc blend.
  • Bay leaves-- good for flavoring soups, stews, and other thick and hearty dishes. They're not poisonous as commonly thought, but they do not feel good if you bite into one. They don't get soft no matter how long you boil them, so don't eat them. Very not worth it.
  • Rosemary-- very distinctive flavor. I associated it with spring. Complemented nicely by fresh spring veggies, a light butter or olive oil sauce, and a little salt.
  • Turmeric: the miracle spice, according to nutritionists. It's supposed to be absurdly good for you but I'm not sure how much you have to eat to get the benefits. It's used mostly in Indian and related cuisines. Wikipedia's take here.

1 comment:

  1. Dear internet,
    In honor of Katie Cobb I acquired my very own white pepper today at the Chinese grocery on Whitney Ave. Full size bottle for $1.50.
    Conclusion: everything Katie says is gospel truth.
    Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete