Sunday, February 21, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture

I just thought I'd take a second and make a little pitch for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I just joined a local CSA here, called One Straw Farm. It's a program where you buy a share in advance, and then you get produce through the entire growing season. You've prepaid a decent part of your grocery bill (while usually saving money compared to what you might spend of veggies if you're eating healthy), all while buying local, usually organic produce. Your share cost also helps the local farms support their costs ahead of time, and they're guaranteed a market for their produce.
In my case, I'll pick up my produce at my church, and the farm has agreed to donate one full share (enough for at least a family of 4) to a food bank for every ten shares my church members purchase. This is a great thing, and I am very excited!
I'm a little nervous, but also really excited, to be cooking with what I consider to be exotic veggies. The basket I'll get each week is a bit random, ranging from arugula* to zucchini and everything in between. So, I'm sure some of those crazy veggie experiments will end up posted here.

*Fun arugula fact: it's known as "rocket" in the UK and is a very common sandwich ingredient. When I was there, I never tired of ordering food with rocket in them, even if it wasn't my favorite green. It was just so fun to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment