Wednesday, October 6, 2010

bean soup!

I adore bean soup. Black bean soup, split pea, lentil soup, minestrone, anything. (Yes those are all in the bean family.) Noms. And as the weather is getting colder, and I've been suffering under a cold, I decided it was good weather to pull out the soup pot.
But, like I said, I've been sick, so I haven't gone grocery shopping. So I used what I had in the house and made a damn tasty soup.

Suggested Ingredients (but feel free to substitute):
  • one bag (1lb) of 16 beans (don't use the flavor pack if it comes with one. gross.) 
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • carrots, chopped
  • celery, chopped
  • one can of diced tomatoes 
  • bay leaves
  • spices-- thyme, oregano, etc
  • broth or stock of whatever variety, or bouillon, etc
  • if you want, a chicken breast or some cooked Italian sausage
1. Either soak the beans overnight, or boil them and soak in the hot water for an hour (per package directions). Drain, rinse, and put in the soup pot.
2. Toss in everything. If using stock, you can dilute it with water. Add more than enough to cover everything.  The chicken can go in raw, it'll boil.
3. Bring to a boil, and then turn down to a high simmer. Partially cover, and let cook for at least 2 hours.
4. If you used chicken, pull it out and shred it with two forks. If you want, you can also throw in some small pasta, like shells, and boil for a few more minutes until tender.
Add some olive oil for flavor, and grate cheese over to serve. Yummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment