Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wonton Soup

If I do say so myself, I make a mean wonton soup. I don't make the wontons myself-- so much time and effort for a bowl of soup! But if you can find decent frozen wontons, homemade wonton soup is just a few minutes away.

Ingredients:
chicken bouillon (I actually prefer Better Than Bouillon)
ground ginger
soy sauce (I use low salt, but whatever you like)

hot sauce, like my favorite, Sriracha
white pepper
sesame oil
green onions (optional but awesome)
noodles (optional but also awesome)

Boil your dumplings in cold water, following package directions. Scoop them out when they're done with a slotted spoon or tongs, and put then in a bowl. 
Add or subtract water from the pot according to how much broth you want. (i.e., how many people are eating, how hungry are you? etc).
Bring it back to a boil. Stir in some chicken bouillon, about two glugs of soy sauce, a little hot sauce (it goes a long way and you can always add more later!) You don't want the broth to turn red. Stir in pepper and ginger.
Add noodles and boil until they're done, if desired.

In a soup bowl, add 3-5 drops of sesame oil. It should be about the size of a nickel on the bottom of a flat bottomed bowl. Add the dumplings to the bowl, and pour broth and noodles over it. Garnish with green onions for maximum awesome.

Total cooking time: 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment